Sunday, October 3, 2010

101 FANTASY CHALLENGE GOES PERPETUAL & MINI-CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT

I was planning on announcing this on October 1st, but I have been sick for a week and it was all I could do to get my Banned Books Week posts written! Anyway, I'm sure you have been waiting to hear the official announcement about the staus of this challenge.  Most of you voted on the poll I posted and the results were as follows:

13 voted to make it a perpetual challenge
5 voted to extend the deadline
1 voted for either choice

Some who voted for perpetual had suggested periodic mini-challenges for incentive.  So I am making this challenge perpetual and I will be having quarterly mini-challenges, starting this month.  A couple suggested a re-vote to come up with a new list, but since the original voting list ended up with 813 selections, I figure we can work off that list.  Many I have talked to were already reading off that list anyway and there are some fantastic book recommendations on the entire list (you can find the link to the complete list on the sidebar).

I know that you have already signed up previously, but please sign up again on this post.  This will give me an idea of who is participating from the old challenge and of new participants.  If you plan on continuing with us on the challenge, please be sure to sign up.  I hope you will!

And now, for the mini-challenge! I took the holidays from the months of October, November, December and January...US, Canada, and UK holidays...and used them for the challenge.  Take the first letter of each holiday (or the second letter, if it's a two letter holiday...like New Year's) and pick a book from the list that starts with that letter OR either of the author's names can start with the letter.  Example:  Veteran's Day = author:  Rachel Vincent OR Columbus Day = City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

MINI-CHALLENGE WILL GO FROM TODAY UNTIL JANUARY 31, 2011


HOLIDAYS/LETTERS

October
USA
Columbus Day = C
Halloween = H
CANADA
Thanksgiving = T

November
USA
Veteran's Day = V
Thanksgiving = T
CANADA
Remembrance Day = R

December
USA & UK
Hanukkah = H
Christmas = C
Kwanzaa = K
New Year's Eve = N or Y
UK & CANADA
Boxing Day = B

January
USA, UK, & CANADA
New Year's Day = N or Y
USA
Martin Luther King Day = M or L or K

Total holidays/letters is 13 so that's 13 books in 4 months...not too hard, I hope! You do not have to read them in the month they fall.  If you live in a country other than USA, UK or Canada, you can substitute one of the smaller holidays with a customary holiday in your country...total books still must equal 13 though.  I will have a small giveaway at the end of the four months for all who complete their 13 books.  There will be a page (access in sidebar) to post your reviews for the four month challenge.

I hope you will continue to join me here for the 101 Fantasy Challenge and I hope you like the mini-challenge.  Please leave me a comment, if you like!

18 comments:

  1. I'll stay with the perpetual challenge, but I'm opting out of the mini-challenge this time around. I have too many challenges going already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks! Since it's perpetual, I'll update my reading list with more books from the complete list ;) but I won't participate in the mini challenge this time, 'cause I already have too many challenges that I don't know if I'll manage to finish in time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - glad it's going perpetual because I haven't done too well so far. I'll give the challenge a go but 13 might stretch me with all the other challenges I have to finish. No harm in trying though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's okay if you feel you can't do the mini-challenge. I may not be able to do it either, what with my Christmas Reading Challenge coming up! Aleksandra and Rachel, please still sign up in the linky. It's for the perpetual challenge itself, not the mini-challenge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I know it's about the challenge, I was updating my list first & after that I forgot to sign-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just looking at the Fantasy reading challenge and wondering how I was going to finish it. Thanks for making it perpetual. I love fantasy.

    I really shouldn't sign up for the mini challenge, but what the heck - I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Signing up. I doubt I'll be participating in this mini-challenge, but I probably will do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time taking part in a challenge. Starting with this mini-challenge sounds like a great place to start ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old blood and new blood! What more could a challenge host ask for?! Welcome one and all to perpetual status!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very late to the challenge, but seeing as there's no ending I'll join in.

    I'm not a fast reader so I won't be doing the mini challenge. But I've always wanted to read more fantasy so here goes :)

    Gorgeous site by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad this is perpetual challenge--more fantasy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ive entered! i'm so excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in - this one sounds like a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only read for 6 of the 12 holidays, but I linked my opinions on the mini-challenge page. This mini-challenge really helped me work more fantasy into my reading. I love it, but sometimes I put it off to read for other challenges or my book club. This challenge gave me "a good reason" to enjoy my fantasy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, everyone! I stumbled across this challenge, and I am intrigued by the list of great books! Great idea on making it perpetual! Otherwise, it would be too daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Darlene! I'm so glad you're joining us. It is a pretty amazing list, and yes, daunting. I felt it needed to be a perpetual challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Michelle! It looks like a fantastic TBR list. Even trying to read 101 books in one year in just this genre would be too difficult for me, so I am glad that it is perpetual. Looking forward to reading everyone's reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came across your challenge on Darlene's blog and i think its wonderful thank you: http://fabulositynouveau.blogspot.com/

    I can't believe Neil Gaiman's American Gods at least never made it to the top hundred. How is this humanly possible. OMG i'm gonna faint....(=

    ReplyDelete